A True Overcomer
7 Keys To Your Success
Have you ever wondered what it is that causes some people to be at peace, to be able to overcome anything, to acquire great success and be able to arise as a true overcomer? What is it that makes the difference?
It’s in their daily routine. There are some daily habits that you can learn from others and then begin to implement in your life as part of your daily routine that will make you a true overcomer!
After surveying a number of successful overcomers, I found the following similarities in their daily routine. If you will begin to restructure your life around these life principles, you too will become a true overcomer.
These are the 7 keys that I believe will start you on the way to becoming a TRUE OVERCOMER!
1. Pray - Begin each day with prayer.
God wants us to pray. Prayer is how we communicate with Him. James 5:16 says, “the effectual and fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” Prayer is our way of expressing our thanks, supplications, our adoration, and our confession to God. When we sincerely pray, bodies are healed, walls are torn down, people are lifted up and we get direction for our lives. God wants us to be in constant communication with him.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, “pray without ceasing”. God wants us to pray. God wants people to seek HIM for direction for life. God wants total commitment! God wants to lead the path of the people so they will go the right way and receive the blessings HE has for us. Matthew 6:33 tells us to “seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” Yes, the things that you tried to attain but couldn’t; was God sought first? The decisions that were made but turned out to be the wrong one; was God sought first? We often “have not” because we “ask not” or we ask amiss. We should ask God to give us the plans as we begin each day.
To mediate means to engage in mental exercise (as concentration on one's breathing or repetition) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness. So, meditation is necessary for us to become more spiritually attuned. Jesus said that we are not to "live by bread alone, but by EVERY Word of God". (Lk.4:4). He was teaching by illustration. How often do we eat each day? We eat in the day, and we eat at night. That is WHY God's Word admonishes us to MEDITATE (chew your food, the Word of God, slowly) upon His Word day and night. (Ps.1:1-3; Joshua 1:8). We must learn to sit still and think on the Word! Mediation allows you to get focused and organized.
3. Learn to Hear from God – get your daily orders
Hearing is the ability to perceive or apprehend by the ear: to gain knowledge of by hearing: to listen to with attention.
God is clear on his instruction on how we should hear and he warns and encourages us as well:
- Luke 8:18 So be sure to pay attention to what you hear. To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But to those who are not listening, even what they think they have will be taken away from them." NLT
- Rev 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says. How we listen and what we do with what we hear determines what we receive.
- Proverbs 8:34-36 34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. 35 For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD. 36 But whoever fails to find me harms himself; NIV
God speaks daily into our lives; the voice of God is always speaking to us and always trying to get our attention. We miss what God is saying because we expect fire, lightning and thunder to appear, not recognizing that oftentimes God’s voice is a “small, still voice. Even in church, most people are more interested in entertaining speakers than they are the content of the message, so they hear sounds, but really don’t listen to what they need to give consideration to for their lives.
We often miss what God is saying…we hear a sound, but we are not really listening, so we miss what God is speaking into our situation. God speaks daily into our “routines” of life. We must learn to hear his voice. How can we follow him if we don’t recognize his voice? So, learn to hear what HE is saying daily!
4. Give God all your cares. 1 Peter 5:7 tell us to …Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. TLB In times of trouble, cast your cares upon the Lord. Even if you are not troubled. Give your cares to God – He’s the most qualified to handle them. Then choose to trust HIM! He cares for you and He will work it out for your good.
5. Count your blessings and be thankful for what you have! No matter what problems you have or how bad things may seem, there is always something to be thankful about. The Bible tells us in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. TLB Don't dwell on the negative and certainly stop the complaining. Think of the good things you have, and the problems and challenges will soon diminish or even disappear. Learn to appreciate where you are and to give thanks for ALL things.
6. Live each day as a True Overcomer! Live life to the fullest! Begin to act and feel like you can achieve anything. You deserve it! You can be an overcomer in anything you do, but you must master some basic life principles.
Be Disciplined You must establish some disciplines in your life. Evaluate every area of your life and determine where you need to become more disciplined. Set some goals, and develop the steps you need to take for you to achieve them. Set some boundaries.
Be healthy Take care of yourself. Strive to be physically, mentally and spiritually healthy. You feel good when you're healthy.
Be knowledgeable Always seek to learn, so that you'll be skilled in what you want to do. You feel sure when you're knowledgeable.
Be excellent Strive to achieve your goals, do a good job and have confidence and self-esteem. Always made certain that you give it your absolute best in everything you do! God’s starting point is EXCELLENCE! Get rid of your mediocre thinking, and stop just being average. If you are going to be the best, then that’s what you have to give! God gave us HIS BEST!
Be valuable You have value! And you must be confident in your value! In all that we do and even in any type of relationship (family, business, community, etc.) we should bring value to it. Seek to find your value. Strong relationships can be a valuable commodity. When each person brings value, there is a positive exchange. People reciprocate your actions by providing something valuable to you.
Be honorable Proverbs 11:3 the integrity of the upright guides them NIV Your honor and integrity is what will guide you to do the right things. Try to always be honest, courageous and reliable. Try to be a person of good character. Others will respect you for your integrity.
Be a servant! Commit to a life of service. We are called to a life of service and if we develop a servant’s attitude it will promote you to greatness. Eph 4:12-13 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. NIV We must serve others until we all reach unity!
7. Finally, ENJOY your life and learn to help others enjoy theirs!
Make it a point everyday to celebrate life. Celebrate your achievements. Use your set-backs as opportunities to learn how to overcome. Everything that we go through in life is an opportunity for us to learn.
A major part of enjoying your life is to help others enjoy their lives. Help people succeed. That is what it is all about. That is your purpose.
So, remember God has put you in this earth to make a difference! He wants you to be an OVERCOMER!
If you commit to trying these keys for at least 21 one days (it takes 21 days to develop a habit), you will find yourself on the way to becoming a true overcomer!!!